Wednesday, December 19, 2007

INTERVIEW WITH VIDYA BALAN - II

Who : Vidya Balan
About : Actress
Website: http://www.vidya-balan.com/ (Fan site)


How it happened : Interview with Vidya Balan
Interview Date: August , 2007
Place: N/A (Interview taken over phone)
Pics: None


Nikhil Taneja (NT): You are said to have undergone an image makeover in Heyy Babyy. Can you tell us something about it?
Vidya Balan (VB): This film will see a new me. The image that Parineeta created was so strong, that in spite of the fact that I have done other films, wherein I didn't play only very Indian characters, people spoke about Parineeta. I think there has never been as much of a departure in my image as it has been in 'Heyy Babyy'. Not because I have worn Western clothes but because I play a well-to-do girl from a business family in Sydney, who shows comfort in these kinds of clothes. I am even wearing my hair differently. I want my character to come through and not Vidya Balan.I can't really thank Manish Malhotra enough.

NT: So tell us more about Heyy Babyy and your role in it.
VB: HEYY BABYY will show me in a different light. It is a film where I could let my hair down. I am
a fun loving girl who cracks and laugh at Jokes with equal ease. HEYY BABYY is first of its kind for me, so far I hadn't done an out-and-out commercial comedy film. The whole environment whilst shooting for HEYY BABYY was enjoyable, like we were in College again. It was a mad house with Akshay, Fardeen, Riteish, Sajid. They played so many pranks. I had literally become one of them.

The baby is the real superstar of the film. The baby too was a real bundle of joy and an absolute delight. She had everyone at her beck and call. She had a doctor and a nurse available at all time. And she could shoot whenever she wanted. She is such an 'Angel'

NT: You are simultaneously shooting for Bhool Bhulaiya with Akshay. How would you compare your roles in both the movies?
VB: It was the madness of Sajid Khan's Heyy Babyy and the mystique of priyadarshan Bhool Bhulaiya. Both Akshay and I were in different terrain in HEYY BABYY and BHOOL BHULAIYA and yet we had so much fun doing both films.

NT: So how was it working with Sajid Khan?
VB: I have known Sajid Khan from College. I remember inviting him as a celebrity judge for the college festival MALHAR at St. Xaviers. He is such a livewire and has a spontaneous sense of humour.The shoot was such a party and we all ended up behaving like mad people

NT: How is Sajid Khan as a director?
VB: Though its Sajid Khan debut film, he has a cinematic bent of mind. He gives you total freedom to the actors to give inputs. He has made a fresh looking film and his understanding of technical aspect of film making is awesome. His enthusiasm is so infectious, that work becomes a fun experience.

NT: During the shooting of Heyy Babyy, Akshay Kumar played a prank on you. Could you tell us something more about it?
VB: Whilst shooting for 'Heyy Babyy' in Australia, Akshay called on my cell pretending that he is a Radio Jockey for an Indian radio Station. In a heavy accent, he asked me questions about my career, love life and movies. And since It was a radio station for Indian in Australia, I kept on answering to all his questions for 20 minutes. I was totally unaware that he had put me on the speaker phone and was surrounded by the cast and crew of the mo
vie.

Guess they must have had a ball at my expense. But I should add that the whole shooting environment in HEYY BABYY was so fulfilled. It was like one big party, thanks to Sajid Khan and the producer Sajid Nadiadwala.

NT: What do you have to say about the music of Heyy Babyy?
VB: It's Shankar Ehsaan Loy at their best. Each song is a virtual gem. It's extremely youthful and chirpy. The story is based on people of Indian origin living in Australia, so the music is in tune with the theme. When you watch the movie, you will realize that you can go out of India, but you can't let India go out of you!

NT: Finally, how is it working under NGE productions with Sajid Nadiadwala?
VB: He is one of the best producers to work with. He literally spoils you. Besides he is such a tr
endsetter, by giving such a huge canvas to new directors. The whole environment was so friendly. It was like a family picnic out there. It was a perfect situation of work and pleasure going together. He is doing wonders to his banner, NGE.


Interview Courtesy: Raindrop Media
© Nikhil Taneja (nikhiltaneja@gmail.com)

No comments: