Wednesday, December 19, 2007

INTERVIEW WITH TANUSHREE DUTTA - II

Who : Tanushree Dutta
About : Actress, former Model, Miss India Universe 2004
Website: http://www.tanushreedutta.org/ (fan site)

How it happened : Interview with Tanushree Dutta
Interview Date: June, 2004
Place: Indian School, Bahrain
Pics: Interview Pics


Nikhil Taneja (NT) : You have been a pretty successful model having even been on the cover of a British Asian fashion magazine. Was taking part in the Miss India competition something pre planned or was it an automatic choice after your success in the field ?
Tanushree Dutta (TD) :
(Smiles) WeMiss Indian Universe 2004ll, I have been dreaming about being a Miss India since I was about 10 or 11, I guess. I
first saw the Miss India Contest in 1994. Both the winners, Aishwarya and Sushmita Sen, won international titles and it was a matter of pride for all Indians. I too hoped to achieve the same fate and that’s why I gave it a shot. I had come to Mumbai with my dreams of modelling, which was basically for this very reason. Once I became a moderately successful model, Miss India was the next step and with God’s grace, everything just fell in place.

NT : How did the music video, ‘Saiyyan Dil mein aana re’ happen ?
TD :
I had heard about the auditions that were going on for the music video. Since I was already into modeling and music videos are a big help to a model to make her name in this glamour field, I decided to try my luck for it. So I sent them a tape of mine. They saw my tape, they got my screen test and the next thing I know, I was shooting for it.

NT : How come we haven’t seen you in any video post that ?
TD :
Yeah, I have been very selective with my work ever since I did the ‘Saiyyan Dil Mein Aana Re’ video because the video, as I know it, had become a very big hit in India and also abroad, amongst the Indian community. And hence, I decided to be very choosy about the work I do because the kind of response that I got through that video and the level that I had achieved through that video, I didn’t want to spoil the impact of the video by taking up another assignment of a lesser caliber. Also I started doing stage performances for which I had to travel extensively within India and also abroad, so there wasn’t really any time to do any other video.

NT : So would you like to get back to them eventually ?
TD :
I don’t think so that for now, I won’t like to do any music videos. At least not in the near future. Because, I have already done a music video and now I want to do something different.

NT : In fact, if I recall right, the only Miss India who has done music videos post winning the crown is Celina Jaitley. No one else has done that.
TD :
Yes. But it actually depends on personal choice. It’s not that I mind doing a music video, it’s just that I wanted to something different. I have already done a music video and I know how it is. I know the whole experience. And I think there is a lot more in this field to explore than just sticking with one particular assignment, like I am doing a lot of ramp shows for various designers. There is also a lot of other assignments pouring in. So I think I would like to experiment with that. Of course, if a very, very interesting video comes up, or something excellent comes up, I might just think about it.

NT : How supportive were your parents on your choice of the modeling career ?
TD :
Well, initially my parents very a little perturbed, because I belong to a very intellectual family – a family which is into education and music and fine arts and all these things. So for them
modelling was very offshoot and they didn’t really expect me to get into it but later on, when I did some ad campaigns and people started talking about the quality of work I was doing, they found out that it wasn’t really all that bad and since I am against anything and everything cheap and vulgar, they started supporting me. And when the Miss India contest came along, they didn’t have any problem with it.

NT : Take us through your journey from entering the Miss India Pageant to winning the crown ?
TD :
Oh wow. It’s been a wonderful journey, very honestly, since, as I have already told you, it had been a dream for me to participate in this very, very prestigious pageant. So when I got selected, it was like a dream coming true. And because I have always lived in a hostel environment and have lived with girls from across the country in boardings and hostels, I was used to that kind of environment of staying with a lot of people of different cultures. We were like a bunch of girls who were having fun, partying, and those rehearsals and the workout sessions in the morning and just staying together was a lot of fun.

Of course, before the pageant, everybody was stressed. But since we had become such good friends, we were standing by each other. And then, the contest began, and being on stage was like the greatest feeling ever, because I have worked as a stage artiste, so a stage is like my best friend. And it was good friend, and the rest is history (chuckles). Winning the crown – the crowning moment was like a dream coming true.

NT : What was the most exciting moment in that journey ? The tie breaker must have been pretty nerve wracking ?
TD :
Oh yes. I felt like banging my head against the nearest wall because I was like, ‘Now why does this have to happen now !!’ (laughs). You know, because a tie breaker is something which was really…(thinks).

NT : Yeah, It was unprecedented.
TD :
Yeah. It was in fact unprecedented. We didn’t think it would happen. And then again all those emotions went through us, that ‘Oh damn ! Now will we do well again or not !’ (smiles). But then I guess, all’s well that ends well. (chuckles).

NT : What is your say about the Laxmi Pandit incident
TD :
Well, I don’t really think there is any point discussing that because, you know it’s far and bygone. And our organizers, the Times of India group, have really, really handled the whole issue really well and everything has been sorted out and …I am sure that... uhh… (thinks)… everybody, wherever they are now, are in a deserving position. So I don’t think there is any point talking about it.

NT : Where do you think you went wrong after having qualified in the final 10 in the Miss Universe Pageant ?
TD :
Well, I don’t think t here was anything that went wrong. It’s just that when you make it to the top ten, your country gets points from there again. And I don’t really know. It is the judges decision ultimately to select people from the top ten to the top five. And I believe that every country that has made it to the top five has had an opportunity to have a winner and India has had many winners in the last ten years. And well, I really don’t know, it’s the judges decision and I totally respect that. And I was totally thrilled to come in the top 10, for that matter (smiles widely), because the girls were so gorgeous. And being of an Asian origin or rather being from the Indian Sub Continent, one really gets a little worried at times, because most of the countries that participate are not from there, it was delightful for me. I was the only Asian in the top ten and I was totally delighted.

NT : But is there anything, according to you, that you would like to change or have undone, which would have probably helped you be successful in your endeavor ?
TD :
No, not at all, absolutely not. I feel that I have performed to my best capacity and more than winning the crown, I think I have made my country proud by performing well and giving in my best and there is nothing I would like to change. And a lot of times winning or not winning depends on destiny or luck, and I don’t think that I could have changed my destiny, you know (smiles). So there was nothing much to change really.

NT : So how much has life changed post the Miss India crown ?
TD :
Oh (grins) ! It’s been a roller coaster ride. Life has changed drastically. Apart from the fact that I get less time to spend with my family and I travel too much these days, also the fact that people’s attitude towards me has changed because, of course, holding the most prestigious title for a woman in the country is something people look up to. Also, there is some good work coming in(smiles), life is getting more and more hectic day by day, and also, there is the learning experience.

NT : Your aspirations include starting a restaurant, isn’t it ?
TD
: Oh yes.. (smiles) and.. Oh My God ! You really are armed with all the information that you can find about me, is it (laughs)! Very Impressive. Yes, I do intend to eventually, in the late future have my own restaurant and get into the restaurant business, because I am a food lover. And if I can think of any business, that would be food.

NT : You have also said that you would like to foray into media eventually.
TD :
To be very honest, I love this field. I love the media industry. It would be difficult for me to move away from it, considering the fact that I have been a stage artiste and a model and I started at the age of 18. Obviously, it was my childhood passion. But if life permits and if a chance does come my way, I would also like to try a hand at, maybe, direction…! (Chuckles) I love to try different thinks, I have already told you that !

NT : You are currently in your second year of college. How have your studies been affected and what are your further plans regarding them ?
TD :
Not really, they haven’t been affected because luckily, I was doing a correspondence course. For this, the exams happen later than the normal college courses. And I also have a chance of giving the papers that I have missed in October. So actually, yes, it has affected in the sense that I have to get back into the exam state of mind half way through (smiles and sighs), but at the same time I am managing to pull it off.

NT : Are you also going to continue with your stage performances as well ?
TD
: Oh yes. Dancing is my first passion. It will never change like that. And you know, apart from it being a passion, my rehearsals and my dancing also help me keep fit so I am definitely continuing that.

NT : So how enriching has the whole experience been for you ?
TD :
Well it has enriched me with a lot of experience of being an ambassador to traveling to so many places, meeting different people, learning about so many different places. You mature as an individual and I feel that the best way of learning is not through books, but through life itself.

NT : Lastly, what message would you give to Miss India aspirants ?
TD :
I would just say that it’s important to follow your dreams and not to give up in the face of difficulties, because to face anything big in life you have to go through hurdles. Many, many failures are followed by one single success. So if you fail in life, it doesn’t mean that you fail for life… that means there is a success down the line. And this is from personal experience that I am saying (smiles).


About Tanushree Dutta …

Nick name : Tanu

Sun Sign : Pisces

Favourite Movie : Titanic

Favourite Actor : Shahrukh Khan

Favourite Actress : -

You would love to tame : A leopard

Music that sets your feet tapping : Bollywood music

Your mouth watering delights : Butter Chicken

Your companion in every deed : My sister

Colours you simply love to dress is : Red, white

Your favourite pastime : Watching movies and eating

The day when you didn’t know where to hide your face : When I walked out in my

pyjamas(after winning the crown) for an ice cream and some children recognized and ran after me !

A striking event which left a lasting impression : My visit to a cancer hospital

The one and only wish that you would want, fulfilled : That I get many more wishes from God.

Last words about yourself : I am ambitious, sensitive, friendly and fun l loving ! Hope people feel the same way

about me too !

© Nikhil Taneja (nikhiltaneja@gmail.com)

No comments: