Wednesday, December 19, 2007

INTERVIEW WITH SONAM KAPOOR - II

Who : Sonam Kapoor
About : Hottest new actress on the block, Daughter of Anil Kapoor
Website: http://www.sonam-kapoor.net/ (Fan Site)


How it happened : Interview with Sonam Kapoor
Interview Date: October, 2007
Place: N/A (Interview taken over phone)
Pics: None


Nikhil Taneja (NT): First things first. Tell us in your own words about Saawariya the movie and about your role in it.
Sonam Kapoor (SK):
Umm.. Saawariya is a love story. A very simple, beautiful, heart warming love story. It’s about love that goes beyond all boundaries and it’s about two souls who, alone in the world, want love to fulfill their lives and to make them whole.

I play Sakina in the film and she’s a very simple girl and she believes in eternal love

NT: What did you go through the very first time you had to face the camera and Mr. Bhansali said Action!
SK:
The thing is, that the first time I faced the camera, it was Ranbir’s shot and I was walking in the background. That was my first shot. And when I heard action, even though I was in the background and I had my whole make up on and you can’t actually see me, I just felt this thrill and I felt a sense of belonging, you know, like I had come to my place. And when I faced the camera, everything just washed away, you know. All The nervousness, all the excitement. I just became Sakina and from that moment onwards I knew I had to be an actor.

NT: You perhaps couldn’t have been launched by a better director. Even though you had assisted Mr. Bhansali during black, how was he to work under as a director?
SK:
You know, as an Assistant Director, he was my teacher. And he is still my teacher. So it’s just a subject change. So it’s the same thing. There is no difference now, except that he is teaching me another subject. Now I was wearing pretty clothes and I was wearing make up and I was in front of the camera and before I was behind the camera and I wasn’t wearing pretty clothes or make up, that’s it!

NT: The movie also stars two of the biggest stars in Bollywood, Rani Mukherjee and Salman Khan. Coming from a film family, you would have known them before but how exactly was the experience of sharing the same scene with them?
SK:
They are both my favourites, can you believe it? Rani is like my favourite actor. After Sridevi and Madhuri, she is my favourite. Sridevi is my all time favourite because she can do comedy, drama, dance, everything at the same time. And this was much before she became my chachi. Now I don’t look at her as an actor, now she is family. I’ve seen all her films, Sadma, Chalbaaz, etc before she became family. She’s always been my favourite. But now I don’t look at her like an actor anymore. Now she’s like my father. My father is never an actor for me, he’s my father. In the same way, now Sridevi is my chachi, she’s my surrogate mom. She takes care of me a lot and gives me too much advice!

Rani Mukherjee is on her way to become a legend. Isn’t that an obvious thing? I mean, who is a better actor than her right now? Tell me. Give me one actor who is a better actor right now? Whether it’s an actor or an actress, Nobody is a better actor right now, according to me. Nobody can do her variety of roles and even though I have known her like, really really well, it was like an unreal experience working with her because she is the most amazing actor ever, she is so spontaneous!

And Salman, Oh my God! He’s a rockstar. He’s the hottest thing to walk this earth! He’s so hot! And I was totally in awe of him and everybody’s got a wrong impression of him. He is such a hardworking person and he knows exactly what he is doing. He is not at all careless. He is completely on mark, on time, his continuity is perfect. He is the most professional actor I’ve ever met! He’s not Salman Khan for no reason!

NT: What did you get to learn from them? What advice did they give you?
SK:
Basically, Salman told me that if you don’t have fun while acting, there is no point acting so just relax, chill out and don’t take yourself so seriously. Acting is the easiest thing and the hardest thing in the world, you just have to decide which one is it for you at that moment, is it hard or is it easy. It’s like everything else in life.

Rani just taught me to be spontaneous, professional, honest and to always listen to elders and be respectful.

NT: What are your favourite memories of working with Rani, Salman and Sanjay Leela Bhansali?
SK:
With Mr.Bhansali, every minute has been an amazing experience. And he has given me a lot. I think you cannot have a better teacher. Every moment has been amazing. Whether it’s like going for music sessions with him or costume trials, he’s looked after me so well. I’m like his own daughter.

With Rani, I had one scene with her but I worked as an Assistant Director (AD) on Black. Basically we had this climax scene going on and we had a continuinty jerk, which was an AD’s fault. And she took it on herself because she knew the AD would get into trouble and she knew, being the star on the film, she won’t get into trouble. So she just took it on herself and said it was her fault and she should have realized it. That just showed me what a big person she is. That was amazing.

And with Salman, it’s like he treats everybody as an equal. Nobody is above or below him, everybody is the same. And I love that about him.

NT: The music of the movie is beautiful and has a very serene and earthy feeling to it. What did you think the first time you heard the songs of Saawariya? Lyrics?
SK:
You know, I have heard the songs of Saawariya since Monty used to come and play it on his keyboard in Mr. Bhansali’s house when he was singing it, the scratch record. So I’ve grown with the music and the music is a part of my soul right now and it is beautiful. I think Saawariya is going to be an album which is going to last like for the next 100 years, the songs are that beautiful

I really love the lyrics. I really liked Thode Badmash, written by Nusrat Badr. I think it’s one of the most simple and beautiful songs. I like Pari, written by Sameer Bhai. I think the songs are very simple and at the same time, they have a lot of layers.

NT: Which is the first song you shot? How did it feel accustomizing with the Bollywood song and dance routine?
SK:
See, we shot Mashallah first. I was a little nervous first, when shooting the song because Mr. Bhansali is known for his songs, but at the same time, I got into it quite easily because I really love dancing and I love music. I’ve been a big nautanki since I was small!

It wasn’t easy though, nothing is easy but it was just that Mr. Bhansali guided me. He made it easy for me. Otherwise, if it was any other director, I’d be falling flat on my face. It’s just because of Mr. Bhansali that I’ve been able to do it!

NT: Which is your favourite song of the movie?
SK:
I don’t know, I don’t have a favourite song. I love all of them! But if you ask me to choose, I love Tere Naina and Yun Shabnami.

NT: One of the highlights of the movie are the sets. Were you awed the first time you came to the sets?
SK:
The first time Sir brought me to the sets and I went around it, I just felt at home. I was awed and I was like, Oh My God, I am a part of this beautiful, unreal, surreal world and I thanked God. I went home and I prayed and I thanked God! Because I love being a part of beauty. Who doesn’t want to be a part of beauty?

NT: What would you say is your favourite Saawariya moment.
SK:
Umm.. Ranbir and I have been best friends since a really really long time. He’s one of my best friends. And he had to do this one scene where he lifted me up and I slide down. And I think that was a culmination of what Saawariya means where he swings me around and I slide down and in every Saawariya trailer there is this moment in the snow, have you seen it?

NT: Yeah I have
SK:
Yeah well, at that point, everybody was at their brilliant best. That was Mr. Bhansali’s moment. That was Ravi Chandran’s brilliant work. You could see Omung’s beautiful sets. And the chemistry between Ranbir and I was completely apparent at that moment. And that’s what makes Saawariya. It’s a relationship between two people. And the culmination between Ravi Chandran, Omung Kumar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s brilliance is shown in that moment. It’s Mr. Bhansali’s moment and he has brought out the chemistry between Ranbir and I in that. I think that is the it moment in Saawariya.

NT: Any memorable or funny incidents from the shooting that you'd like to recall for our readers?
SK:
Okay, yeah, Ranbir, like, fell off a boat (laughs). He is the most klutzy person in the world. He is constantly falling all over the place. (Still laughing). I think that’s very funny! He’s too funny.

As for me, the thing is, I had drapes all over me and I had the heaviest clothes, right? And there were scenes in which there was rain and there is this huge dress I was wearing which was already like 40m long and when the rain comes, it becomes heavier! So from being 5 kgs, it became 10 kgs. And I had to take a chakkar and I did a chakkar and I reached the other side of the set! (laughs again)

NT: Your mother was always on the sets with you. Did that make things awkward at any point of time or did it make them easier for you?
SK:
Oh it was easier, any day.

NT: What were your parents reactions when you first broke the news to your parents that Mr. Bhansali has signed you on? Did they know that you were hoping for it?
SK: I didn’t break the news to them. Mr. Bhansali broke the news to them. I didn’t have the guts to do that! I am a Punjabi girl from a Punjabi family. We don’t become actresses you know! We father was okay with it but my was a little iffy about it. My father treats me like a son. He’s like, I’ve had the best time in the industry, how can I deny my daughter that? And my mom was like, study! But it’s okay now. My dad was chilled about it. They were amazing actually, they were very supportive about it. They just want me to be happy.

NT: Were they expecting it?
SK:
No, they were not. They were like, completely shocked.

NT: Ranbir has confessed that he went to assist Mr. Bhansali on Black with the intention of being launched by him. What was on your mind?
SK: I didn’t have any such intention (giggles). I was like 90 kilos okay! 86 kilos actually.(hyper) And I used to wear chashmas and kurtas and walk around. If I had wanted to be an actress, I’d have lost some weight and gone to Mr. Bhansali and told him please cast me! I wouldn’t have gone like that, trust me! (laughs)

The thing is, the first day I went to him, he said, you should be an actress. I want you to act in my film. And I was like, Sir, I can’t act. I had gone there to learn filmmaking and writing from him. But while I was assisting him, I realized that I was more interested in what was happening in front of the camera than behind the camera.

NT: What advice did they give you individually?
SK:
My mom wanted me to become a writer. My dad was just like be honest, work hard and be a good daughter, and that’s it.

NT: What do you write?
SK:
I write for myself. I write stories or I write in my diary.

NT: So you are good at it?
SK:
I am okay. I don’t think I am that good. I really don’t think I am really good. I am not a very good writer. I am all over the place all the time. I don’t have the confidence to publish my work so I don’t think I’ll ever do that! I think you can either be a writer or you can’t and I just don’t have the confidence to be one.

NT: You knew Ranbir since quite a long time. Did that make it easier working opposite her or difficult?
SK:
Easier, definitely easier. I thanked God and I thanked my stars it was Ranbir and not anybody else who was my first co star and nobody else who was my first co star because I can make a complete fool of myself and I’d know he’d still be myself (giggles uncontrollably ).

NT: Though people say that star kids have it easy, isnt it particularly difficult for you considering the perfectionist your father is and the expectations that are attached to you?
SK:
See, I’ll be honest with you. If I wasn’t Anil Kapoor’s daughter, I wouldn’t be assisting Sanjay Leela Bhansali and I wouldn’t have got a Sanjay Leela Bhansali film because he wouldn’t have noticed me otherwise. So yeah, the entry is always easier. I get all the attention from the reporters, media and the publicity people because I happen to be Anil Kapoor’s daughter. So there are pros and cons to being a star kid. And there are pros and cons to not being a star kid. And if you realize right now, nobody in the industry who is on top comes from the film industry. Whether it’s Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, Priyanka Chopra, Rani Mukherjee’s father was a small actor but she is the best right now. Anybody, who is on the top right now, has not been from a film family. And I think it’s a completely wrong notion that nepotism has a hold on the film industry. I think it’s like any other industry in the world. Whether you are Anil Ambani or Mukesh Ambani, you happen to be Dhirubai Ambani’s son, it’s still about the industry. Whether you are a politician’s son, whether you are an industry person’s son or daughter or whether you are a film industry person’s son or daughter, it’s like any other industry. It’s all about your destiny and your luck.

NT: So how did your first autograph feel?
SK:
Well, I was awkward about it but I was very happy. I don’t really remember who took it. It happened outside the sets of Saawariya. I was shooting with Salman and I think they had actually come to take Salman’s autograph, this whole group of people, and they just happened to see me. They didn’t know who I was and they were like, Oh! She’s shooting with Salman! Let’s take her autograph, maybe she’ll become an actress one day.

NT: How did it feel the first time you saw yourself on screen?
SK:
Whenever I see myself on video or TV and stuff like that, it’s literally unreal and I can’t see myself. I cannot watch myself on screen ! I just close my eyes during my scenes!

NT: Finally, tell us why you think Saawariya as a movie and not as your launch, is a must see for the audience?
SK:
Because if you want to fall in love and if you believe in love, then Saawariya is the film for you.


© Nikhil Taneja (nikhiltaneja@gmail.com)

Y

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't noticed mycelebinterviews.blogspot.com before in my searches!
I am quite interesting in your topic of writing hope you will elaborate more on it in future posts.