Wednesday, December 19, 2007

INTERVIEW WITH URVASHI SHARMA - II

Who : Urvashi Sharma
About : Actress, Model
Website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urvashi_Sharma

How it happened : Interview with Urvashi Sharma
Interview Date: August, 2007
Place: N/A (Interview taken over email)
Pics: None

Nikhil Taneja (NT) : You wanted to become a doctor in your childhood. So how did you end up in modeling?
Urvashi Sharma (US): I always wanted to be a doctor since I came from a humble background and my family were well qualified, so I was inspired by them. And therefore I joined the science stream to be a doctor. But Bollywood was where I always aspired to be. Its all detiny…

NT: How did Naqaab happen?

US:
I was always interested in acting. Modeling helped me start my journey towards it. I had no background or support that would take me to my dreams. I had to work hard towa
rds it. I started off with doing campaigns for Ponds, Garnier, Kit Kat Airtel etc. Since I had no one to back me, I signed on to Elite Modeling Agency, who professionally managed my career. And due to my ad campaigns which were simultaneously splashed across all media, it caught the attention of the producers at TIPS FILM. They then signed me on for an 8 film contract with their talent division at TIPS film. I did a screen test for NAQAAB, & was then signed on for the film.

NT: Most newcomers settle for something tried and tested like a romantic comedy for their debuts. But your movie is a mystery thriller. Do you think that might make a difference?
US:
It's a very interesting role. I'm so lucky that in my debut film, I got such a challenging role. And with such a huge set up with Ab
bas-Mustan, the masters in this genre at the helm, and with Bobby Deol and Akshaye Khanna. You couldn't ask for more. It's such a dream come true. It revolves on the three protagonists and how the mask is slowly unveiled, that will destroy their future.


NT: How different is Naqaab from the other Abbas Mastaan thrillers? What would you say is the movie?s USP?
US:
But, I'm sure you would understand that since NAQAAB is a thriller, I can't specify my role. But the script is fantastic; it's an edge of the seat thriller. The USP is that it will ke
ep you guessing right till the end. It's the most shocking thriller of the year.

NT: Was it intimidating working with huge stars like Akshaye Khanna andBobby Deol in your very first movie? How comfortable did they make you feel?
US:
Bobby Deol is such a nice human being and a good actor. He made me so comfortable at the sets, though I was making my debut. He was so patient and also taught me to dance freestyle, when I had to do a dance steps without choreography. And also the fact that I am a Punjabi, added to the comfort level at the sets.

Truly I found Akshaye Khanna very sweet. In fact he used to always help me whenever I used to get stuck in some scenes. He used to enact those scenes with my lines and show it to me. He too made me feel very comfortable and was very patient, being my first film. And he so talented.


NT: You have signed an 8 film contract with TIPS which is a fantastic achievement for a newcomer. How did it happen?
US:
It's the best thing to have happened to me. I am very comfortable with the contract and prefer a professionally managed company to manage my career as Elite are man
aging my modeling assignments. Though I am on contract with TIPS, I can do films with other banners too. NAQAAB is the first film in the 8 film contract in 5 years with TIPS films. It's a first time done in Bollywood for a new comer.

Thankfully I have worked hard and have been rewarded too. I didn't have to struggle though. Mr. Kumar Taurani and Ramesh Taurani are so professional. I am living my dreams. They have launched Preity Zinta, Shahid Kapoor, Amrita Rao and whatever I achieve in future; it's all due to them.

NT: You are a trained Kathak and Western classical dancer. So the Salsa number with Akshaye Khanna in Naqaab must have been quite easy for you?
US: If your basics are right, any dance form would not be difficult….

NT: How difficult was it adjusting to the Mumbai life since you? You just moved in here a few months back from Delhi?
US:
Modeling is where I started out, and Bollywood is where I always aspired to be. Modeling was therefore a stepping stone to achieve my dreams. It gave me the confidence & experience in understanding Camera angles etc... I just had dreams in my eyes when I decided to shift to Mumbai. Modeling helped me survive in Mumbai. It helped me realize my dreams.

NT: Even though you became a big face in the modeling world, you didn?t give up your studies and continued through correspondence. But with Naqaab and the 8 film contract, have your studies suffered a setback?
US:
Yes because of my busy career in modeling, I had to leave my studies incomplete, but I intend to finish off my BSc..


NT: Have you signed up any other movies as part of the TIPS contract yet?
Can you tell us something about them? Finally, what do you think the future holds for you once Naqaab releases?
US:
Though I am contracted with TIPS for an 8 film contract in 5 years, I have the freedom to work with outside banners. What can I ask for ? They have charted out my career so well. Right now I am just waiting for NAQAAB to release. TIPS film is charting my career. Though thanks to them, I have already been getting a lot of feelers from other banners too. I will speak about it at the right time.


© Nikhil Taneja (nikhiltaneja@gmail.com)

No comments: