Saturday, December 15, 2007

INTERVIEW WITH SAJID KHAN - II

Who : Sajid Khan
About : Actor, TV Anchor, Director of Heyy Babyy, Brother of Bollywood Choreographer, Farah Khan
Website: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2012857/

How it happened : Interview with Sajid Khan
Interview Date: October, 2000
Place: Bahrain
Pics: None

He is the funniest guy around. He can make you roll on the floor with laughter, and you still beg him for more. He had to struggle to get here, but he proved his worth with Kehne Mein Kya Harj Hai. And now he aims to buy a helicopter for himself ! A very popular anchor of famous and happening shows like Footlose, Ikke Pe Ikka and Best of the Best, Sajid Khan, brother of the famous choreographer, Farah Khan, and himself a famous dancer, who can make you go crazy, was here to host a big show. I caught up with him to have a quick Question and Answer session, where he made me laugh my head off !


Nikhil Taneja (NT) : How would you define comedy ?
Sajid Khan (SK) : Comedy is something which cannot be defined, comedy is something which gives you pleasure, comedy is something which is the greatest joy of all, and definitely the greatest art to master, for the simple reason that it is very easy to do tragedy, it is very easy to do action, it is very easy to do songs and romance, but it is the most difficult thing to do. Ask any comedian, he’ll tell you. It is the most important thing to do in a movie, but it the most difficult thing to make someone laugh.

NT : How essential is comedy in films ?
SK : It depends on the kind of films you are making. It’s like saying how essential is action. If you are making a love story, then action is not required. Comedy is really important because of the simple reason, that it comes across you as a relief. People need to laugh. How would you like it if you did not laugh at all for 24 hours. You won’t like it at all, exactly ! Comedy is very important. I think comedy is very essential, not just in films, but in every aspect of life.

NT : How did your television career come about ?
SK : 4 years ago, I got into television. I got offers from various people. They saw me on stage and they said, ‘Why don’t you do this ? Why don’t you do that ?’ So I did it ! And that’s how it just came about.

NT : Who inspired you to become an actor ?
SK : Kishore Kumar. I am his biggest fan. Kishore Kumar and Marx Brothers, if you know who they are. Marx Brothers were comedians in Hollywood, in the 20s and the 30s, who were completely mad. They inspired me a lot to become an actor. And plus, the whole thing is that I was doing what I am doing, ever since I was a kid. So the question of inspiration never arose. The whole idea is that I am doing comedy as a kid.

NT : How supportive was your family on your decision to take up acting ?
SK : They were OK. My father was also an actor, so he didn’t mind(Chuckles). His name was Kamraan Khan, and he died in 1985. He used to work in the Dara Singh stunt movies and all. You can see his film at late in the night at Zee TV and Sony TV.

NT : What comes more naturally to you ? Comedy or Dancing ?
SK : That, my friend, is a very difficult question, for the simple reason, that I was dancing ever since I was a kid. I don’t really know. But I think comedy would take the edge.

NT : You make everyone laugh. What makes you laugh ?
SK : Various different things. Actually, real life incidents make me laugh a lot. I find funny situations in real life situations, in the sense that if I see two people fighting on the road over a car accident problem or something stupid, I take inspiration from that, and make it into a comic scene and then I laugh. So real life situations make me laugh more than false ones.

NT : And what makes cry ?
SK : Watching my own shows (Laughs) ! Seriously speaking though, I get very upset when I see old people suffering yaar. More than crying, it makes me upset. I get hurt.

NT : Up to what extent can you go to make people laugh ?
SK : Depends on what extent people want me to go to, to make them laugh(Grins) !

NT : How much did you have to struggle to attain this height of popularity ?
SK : I have never struggled in my entire life. I have done what I have done and I have never considered it as a struggle. In fact, if you are calling it a struggle, then even this is a struggle (Chuckles).

NT : How do you rate your sister, Farah Khan, as a choreographer ?
SK : Honest to God, I am not saying this because she is my sister, but I know that this for a fact, that I am fortunate enough to live with her and know the way that she functions in life, which is the best. Not just as a choreographer, but also as a person to deal with, for the simple reason that she is very clean, and she is very nice and very hardworking, unlike many other people. I am really very proud of her.

NT : Did you ever advice your sister, Farah Khan, so as to, which films to sign, and which not to, or vice versa ?
SK : We don’t ever interfere in each others work. Ever.

NT : Do you ever help your sister in her choreography ?
SK : No. Never. Although, there was one day when she was caught between two shoots, and there was a patchwork for an ad film left, so I went and finished it.

NT : You refused the role of Hrithik’s friend in KNPH. Do you regret that ?
SK : How do you know this ? You know this ? Cool (Laughs)! I refused this for the simple reason that I am not a sidekick. I am a guy with his own show at television. And plus, that film was being launched for Hrithik Roshan, which I told Rakesh ji. I told him that Sir, if there is a single scene of mine, which will be better than him in comedy, which obviously it will be, because he wanted Hrithik to be a big star, but I am a better comedian. So, you will obviously chop it off. And obviously not for anything else, but because you are spending so much money to launch your son, which is justified, because today he is such a big star. So, I was not wrong. I said that I cannot do it.

NT : You are doing a column in The Indian Express, Brain Fry Day. How did that come about?
SK : Well, they just called me on the sets and told that you write for us, and I asked how much do you pay. And they said that we pay this much, this much, and I said that I will take 4 times more than what you pay to other people. They said that ok, we’ll pay you. But, I said that I don’t want the money. You give it to Old People’s Charity. So, it started at once in a month, now it has become twice in a month. The money goes to the old people’s home. So I write. I write anything. It’s called ‘Brain Fry Day’

NT : So you are planning to become a journalist now ?
SK : No no ! I am not a journalist (chuckles) ! You guys are damn good at your job. I am not a journalist ! I just write what comes to my mind !

NT : Is comedy tough for you ? Do you have to prepare for it ?
SK : Absolutely not. Fortunately, I don’t prepare anything. I just do what I feel like at that particular moment.

NT : So, you just go to a show and start performing ?
SK : No, that’s not the way it is ! I first find out that what sort of a show it is, what sort of a crowd is coming. I first find out whether I should speak in English or I should speak in Hindi. Depends on the type of crowd that is coming. You know, you can’t do childish jokes if there are only old people sitting in the audience. At the same time, you can’t do intelligent jokes if there are illiterate people sitting in the audience. So you have to just find out, and then accordingly work out.

NT : Give an account of your likes and dislikes.
SK : Well, I like DVDs a lot. I like watching movies at home. I like sound systems.

NT : So you don’t like comedy ?
SK : Of course I like comedy yaar !

NT : And what are your dislikes ?
SK : I dislike people lying.

NT : So you dislike hypocrites ?
SK : No no ! I love hypocrites. Without hypocrites, there will be no comedy(laughs) ! I dislike people lying. That’s what I don’t like.

NT : Do you have any other passion other than doing comedy or dancing ?
SK : I already told you. I love watching movies. That’s my ultimate passion !

NT : When do you plan to marry ?
SK : Never ! That will turn comedy into tragedy yaar (laughs)! Actually, I haven’t met the right girl yet.

NT : What advice would you like to give to your fans who want to take up acting as their career ?
SK : First, make a base. The base has to be made first. When a rocket takes off from the ground, the rocket does not just take off from the ground… it takes off from a base. So, to become an actor, you first have to make a base, which is like, finishing your studies, and getting some kind of a job ready in your pocket. Because you know that acting is the most insecure job, it’s the most unsteady profession. You never know when you are going to be charging so much money and when you are going to be out of the business. So make a base first. And the base can only be made if you have a solid job in your pocket. THEN pursue it.

NT : Finally, what message would you like to give to your young fans who would be reading this interview ?
SK : Do what you have to do. Don’t take any pressure on your head. Study when you want to study. Play when you want to play. Just enjoy life and be happy. And always listen to your parents and obey and be nice to your parents.



© Nikhil Taneja (nikhiltaneja@gmail.com)

No comments: