Wednesday, December 19, 2007

INTERVIEW WITH JENSON BUTTON - II

Who : Jenson Button
About : BAR Honda's star driver at Formula One
Website: http://www.jensonbutton.com/

How it happened : Interview with Jenson Button
Interview Date: April 2-3-4, 2004
Place: F1 Bahrain Grand Prix, in the Paddock area
Pics: Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix


Incredibly talented and exceptionally down-to-earth. He doesn’t seem like the guy who has just had back to back podium finishes in two formula one grand prixes ! But that doesn’t make him a lesser superstar. He is enjoying the adulation as long as it lasts – and mind you, it has all just started !

Nikhil Taneja (NT) : How do you feel after the race ?
Jenson Button (JB): Fantastic. It’s great to be back on the podium and this one was a little bit more difficult, we had a little bit more luck. But yeah, we have worked very hard and it has helped.

NT : You started off your career at the young age of 8 with karting at the British Super Prix. Was it out of your own interest or because your parents asked you to ?
JB : Umm… I loved racing. I always used to watched my father race in rally karts, and I used to get very bored as a child so my father brought me a motorbike. After two days, he brought me a go kart and I loved it. So we went racing and so, yes, it was my decision. I loved to race and win.

NT: You debuted as the youngest British F1 driver in history. How was the feeling and how far did it increase expectations from you ?
JB : Well it didn’t change anything, you know. It’s more for marketing and the press kits but personally, it doesn’t change anything. If you have got enough experience to be on formula one, it doesn’t matter what age you are.

NT : When you were on a holiday your girlfriend in Mexico, you received a call from Prost asking you if you would like to test for them. Since that there has been no looking back. Talk us through your journey since that phone call to your formula one debut.
JB : Umm… Prost caught me unaware when I was a holiday in Mexico and asked me whether I would like to test their car… just to test and see how it worked. Obviously, I flew straight back home. Within two days, I was in the Prost car. And, umm… the test went very well. I was quick and enjoyed the test and so it was a reasonable test.

A few weeks later I got a call from Frank Williams, of BMW-Williams, to say that they want to test me again to see how it would go. Not for racing… I didn’t think so anyway. Again, the test went very well and at the end of the week, they said I had to drive… Frank said I had to drive ! Up until that day I didn’t know if I was going to be racing or testing or what with Williams… they never actually told me. And well, yeah, then Frank told me that I would be racing for the BMW-Williams team for 2000.

NT : What are your memories of your debut in Grand Prix in 2000 ?
JB : Umm.. very interesting, because I crashed in practice and had to start last in the race (chuckles) ! So yeah, I was a little bit nervous but also very excited. And the race went well. I was up to sixth position but my engine expired so I was never to finish. But yeah, I could have scored points in my first race which would have been good.

NT : On a scale of 1-10, how much would you rate the Bahrain track and why ?
JB : I think the track is good. I think it is made for some good racing. And also, the layout, I think is very good, I like it. I would give it an eight.

NT : So what do you think the track is lacking in ?
JB : I think the only thing I would change is the dust. I think there is a lot of dust off line. But they are obviously going to be changing that for the next year.

NT : What are your expectations and goal for this season at present ?
JB : I think it is to be quicker than Renault, you know. To move forward, and try and be a little more close to the Ferraris, you know. We are not going to beat them in the next race, but to be closer is our present aim.

NT : So how different is fruit juice to champagne?
JB : We smell like ladies now. (Laughs).

NT : You came first in the third and fourth practice sessions but you were still third in the race. What do you think you still have to do to finish first?
JB : We were very quick on Saturday morning but we lost a lot of time when we got to qualifying. I don't really understand what the reason was but that's something we really need to look at in the data. It's all gaining experience for us. This is our third race with Michelin tyres and working out how they work is not as easy as it seems. We're gaining experience and hopefully by the next race we can make another step forward.


© Nikhil Taneja (nikhiltaneja@gmail.com)

No comments: